Motivational Interviewing Training Series
Two-Day Introduction to Motivational Interviewing (MI)May 3-4, 2018 - $450
This 2-day intensive workshop will introduce participants to the principles, processes, and skills associated with motivational interviewing. Participants will be guided through a sequence of learning activities to explore and shape their own behavioral change practices to be more in line with MI. Learning activities will include: real-life demonstrations, video-tape examples, “real-plays,” case studies, and small group exercises, with plenty of opportunities for participant practice with feedback. This workshop is appropriate for helping professionals with no prior or minimal to moderate exposure.
- Describe the “spirit,” key principles and four processes of Motivational Interviewing (MI)
- Critically engage MI demonstrations via videos and live examples
- Demonstrate and practice the spirit and primary skills associated with MI, with specific attention to evoking change talk
- Become familiar with the range of skills used in MI to engage with clients, focus the scope of the work, evoke change talk, dancing with discord and negotiate a change plan
Advanced Topics: Cultivating Change Talk
June 26, 2018 – $225
- Deepen your ability to recognize change talk and sustain talk
- Practice cultivating change talk and softening sustain talk
- Deepen your ability to evaluate your own skills of cultivating and responding to change talk
This training is appropriate for helping professionals with previous MI and practice experience in the role of supporting individuals to make and sustain behavior changes: social workers, physicians, nurses, health educators, care managers, dietitians, counselors, psychologists, life coaches, clergy, probation corrections officers, personal trainers, and educators.
Included in the Workshop
- 7 hours of high-level training from very experienced national and international MINT trainers
- Light breakfast/coffee breaks/light snacks
- University venue with local food carts and hotels within walking distance
- 6.5 Social Work CEUs from NASW
Two-Day Intermediate/Advanced MIOctober, 2018 – $450 (Stay tuned for exact dates)
This 2-day intensive workshop is devoted to deepening MI learning and skills. Workshop participants will have previous MI training and practice in applied settings. The workshop will focus on deepening and varying reflective listening skills, as well as growing eliciting and responding to change talk skills, change planning, and dancing with discord. Participants will be supported to develop learning plans and objectives for ongoing MI practice and growth.
- Explore new materials from the MI-3
- Deepen OARS skills
- Deepen your ability to recognize, elicit, and respond to change talk
- Grow your dancing with discord skills
- Learn strategies for if, when, how to initiate a change plan with a client
- Learn how to grow MI skills
All workshops held in beautiful Portland, Oregon at Portland State University
Only $1,000 for Complete Series or Purchase Individually
Target AudienceThese trainings are appropriate for helping professionals in the role of supporting individuals to make and sustain behavior changes: social workers, physicians, nurses, health educators, care managers, dieticians, counselors, psychologists, life coaches, clergy, probation/corrections officers, personal trainers, school counselors, etc.
Coaching & Structured FeedbackFlexible Scheduling – $450
This set of activities is designed to support the learner in practicing and building the basic skills learned in the beginning training. Both individual coaching and MI-based feedback have been shown to facilitate skill development. Each learner will receive three coaching sessions along with three evaluations. The coaching is typically done telephonically and involves practicing specific skills and strategies. The MI-based feedback is provided by a faculty evaluation of recorded sessions that may be with real clients or with other learners, using the Motivational Interviewing Treatment Integrity (MITI) 4.1 coding system. The learner receives the actual coding results, as well as suggestions for ongoing practice and improvement. The timing and scheduling of the activities will be negotiated between the coach and the learner.
- Ongoing assessment of skill level with a highlighting of strengths and growth
- Active practice with the MI skills and strategies targeted toward the individual learner
- Continued deepening of MI skills