Motivational Interviewing Training Workshops
Two-Day Introduction to Motivational Interviewing (MI)
June 15-16, 2020 – $450
This 2-day intensive workshop will introduce participants to the principles, processes, and skills associated with motivational interviewing. Participants will be guided through a sequence of learning activities to explore and shape their own behavioral change practices to be more in line with MI. Learning activities will include: real-life demonstrations, video-tape examples, “real-plays,” case studies, and small group exercises, with plenty of opportunities for participant practice with feedback. This workshop is appropriate for helping professionals with no prior or minimal to moderate exposure.
- Describe the “spirit,” key principles and four processes of Motivational Interviewing (MI)
- Critically engage MI demonstrations via videos and live examples
- Demonstrate and practice the spirit and primary skills associated with MI, with specific attention to evoking change talk
- Become familiar with the range of skills used in MI to engage with clients, focus the scope of the work, evoke change talk, dancing with discord and negotiate a change plan
Two-Day Intermediate/Advanced MI
Sept. 10-11, 2020 – $450
This 2-day intensive workshop will:
- Explore what is new in MI from the MI-3 text
- Deepen OARS skills
- Deepen your ability to recognize, elicit, and respond to change talk
- Grow your dancing with discord skills
- Learn strategies for if, when, how to initiate a change plan with a client/patient
- Learn how to offer information and education in an MI-consistent manner
This training is appropriate for helping professionals with previous MI training AND practice experience in the role of supporting individuals to make and sustain behavior changes: social workers, physicians, nurses, health educators, care managers, dieticians, counselors, psychologists, life and health coaches, clergy, probation/corrections officers, personal trainers, school counselors, and educators.
- 14 hours of high-level training from very experienced national and international MINT trainers
- Light breakfast/Coffee Breaks/Light Snacks
- University venue with local food carts and hotels within walking distance
- 13 Social Work CEUs from NASW (6.25 and 6.75 Hours)
All workshops held in beautiful Portland, Oregon at Portland State University
These trainings are appropriate for helping professionals in the role of supporting individuals to make and sustain behavior changes: social workers, physicians, nurses, health educators, care managers, dieticians, counselors, psychologists, life coaches, clergy, probation/corrections officers, personal trainers, school counselors, etc.
Coaching & Structured Feedback
Flexible Scheduling – $450
This set of activities is designed to support the learner in practicing and building the basic skills learned in the beginning training. Both individual coaching and MI-based feedback have been shown to facilitate skill development. Each learner will receive three coaching sessions along with three evaluations. The coaching is typically done telephonically and involves practicing specific skills and strategies. The MI-based feedback is provided by a faculty evaluation of recorded sessions that may be with real clients or with other learners, using the Motivational Interviewing Treatment Integrity (MITI) 4.1 coding system. The learner receives the actual coding results, as well as suggestions for ongoing practice and improvement. The timing and scheduling of the activities will be negotiated between the coach and the learner.
- Ongoing assessment of skill level with a highlighting of strengths and growth
- Active practice with the MI skills and strategies targeted toward the individual learner
- Continued deepening of MI skills